THE ADVOCATE


They came barging in meeting me in my sinful state
Furiously was I dragged like a lamb heading for slaughter
I couldn’t do anything neither could I call for help
Would it have been helpful? Cos I knew am guilty
They brought me to Him stating clearly what I was accused of
Backing it with a reference on what the law predicts to be my fate
Guilty! Guilty!! Guilty!!! Did they all echo
My eyes were like the cloudy skies
Waiting to pour down like the showers of July
Oh! Will this be my end cos I see death standing already
They asked Him again to know His thought on the matter
But as He rose to speak, He questioned their self-righteousness
They couldn’t say nor do anything cos their conscience judged them guilty too
One after the other did they disappear like the path of a boat on the waters
And as He raised His head again, asking about my multitude of accusers
With tears I answered, they are no more
Deep down I was expecting judgement with my eyes closed in regrets
But the words He spoke were of life and hope
“Neither do I condemn you but sin no more”
And so I opened my eyes with an eruption of joy in me
Oh! what a great advocate are thou Son of God
To care even for my condemned soul